The sun is rising earlier, setting later, and slowly the temperature is starting to climb. But that also means that it’s time to get down and dirty with some spring cleaning. For some this can be daunting, and for others a cathartic experience to remove the clutter from their lives. We have some great tips to help make your spring cleaning an easy and simple process.
Before you even start cleaning, there are some steps you can follow to help you through the process:
- Draw up a schedule and break up your cleaning into easy to manage portions – by breaking it up over several days you won’t tire yourself out and the process can become more enjoyable.
- Tackle your cleaning one room at a time – by tackling one room at a time you can give it all your attention, for example, in your bedroom you can take the time to organise your closet and get rid of things you don’t wear or need.
- Get everything you need before you start cleaning to avoid having to stop.
- Create multiple piles of items as you go through your house, one for storage, one for charity and a rubbish pile for the things you want to throw out.
BE MASTERFUL WITH YOUR MUCK
The kitchen and bathroom are probably the worst places to clean as the steam from cooking and hot showers can make the dirt and grime more difficult to remove. There are plenty of tricks and clever products that will make this arduous task a lot easier.
- Lemon cleans stainless steel – Simply halve a lemon and use it to scrub away those annoying streaks and marks.
- Steam clean your microwave – Mix two tablespoons of white vinegar and a few drops of a scented essential oil of your choice with water and place this in the microwave on a high temperature for five minutes. Not only will it remove those tough stains and food build up, it will smell great too.
- Organise your refrigerator – Place a lazy Susan in your fridge for bottles, jars and containers, to make it easier to get to the items that you want, and keep your fridge organised. Plastic containers are also a great way to keep your food fresh, and make it easy to see what you have in stock.
HOME Clip Fresh Plastic Food Containers Pack of 10 £16.99 at Argos
Sistema Multi-Coloured Klip it Food Storer 5 Litres £7.00 at Asda
Wilko Food Container Square 2.3 Litre £2.50 at Wilko
BRIGHT AND BLISSFUL BATHROOMS
Steam marks and water stains can be laborious to clean, and with so many products required for daily grooming, your bathroom is bound to look untidy unless you create clever storage solutions. Look out for storage products to ensure everything is kept neat, while being easily accessible.
- Get rid of water stains and product build up – Tumble Dryer sheets are great for removing product build up on glass shower doors.
- Keep your bathroom smelling fresh – Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil inside your toilet paper roll for a constant, pleasant smell.
- Deep clean your shower head – Regularly fill a sandwich bag with baking soda and vinegar and tie this around your shower head. Let this soak overnight to loosen dirt and grime and use an old toothbrush to scrub it clean.
ODIN Bamboo and white lacquer 3 tier storage unit £80.00 and ODIN Bamboo and white 3 shelf corner unit £80.00 at Sainsbury’s
4 Tier Storage Unit White £18.00 and Pop up Laundry Bin £3.00 at Wilko
COLLIER Copper metal over door hooks £12.00 at Sainsbury’s
Wilko Over Door Rack £10.00 at Wilko
Croydex Hookover Steel Shower Caddy £11.99 and HOME 2 Tier Hookover Shower Caddy £6.99 at Argos
SOLVE YOUR STORAGE WOES
For most people, storage is an issue. Either there is not enough storage space at home, or drawers and cupboards are untidy, and things are difficult to find. But there are a few simple steps you can follow to make sure that your bedroom cupboards, laundry cupboard and even your sitting room are neat, and that everything has a proper place.
The great thing about storage, is you can choose whether you want to make it a feature of the room, or if you want it hidden. And when it comes to your wardrobe, vacuum packing the clothes is a great way to clear up some space.
HOME Single 2 Rail Wardrobe Frame £39.99, HOME 2 Tier Shoe Rack £19.99, Protect & Store Mixed Vacuum Storage Bags 6 Piece Set £11.99, and HOME 10 Pocket Hanging Canvas Shoe Storage £5.49 all at Argos
HOME Large Fabric Ottoman £32.99 at Argos
Habitat Jacobs Upholstered Storage Bench £250.00 at Argos
Really Useful Storage Box 9 Litre Pack of 2 £10.00 at Ryman
Floral Storage Suitcases Set Of 3 £7.00 at The Works